Monday, June 23, 2014

Hike 2: Wee.... Trail

 On Friday, Zou and I went for another hike.  This one was a bit more strenuous, with about a 2200 ft. gain and 6 miles long roundtrip.  Another weighty factor, literally, was that I had gotten my real camera back, so it accompanied us - ON my back...  So time for a real backpack to go with the real camera - no more fanny pack for now...  I'm guessing it's at 20 lbs., so not much...yet.  But we'll be ramping that up to prepare for backpacking time!  Yeah, Zouey carried stuff too, but mostly this was just a trial run to see how she did with a pack on.  There really wasn't much in it.

 Zouey obliges me with another Rockin' Dog pose.

 Partners in crime...

 This trail has a really pretty stretch through a grassy aspen glade.

 And we were besieged by grouse yet again.  This is not a very good shot, but it was the best I could do with my little point and shoot zoomed all the way, and a grouse-crazy dog on the leash!  No time to pull out the real camera.  And I wanted to keep Zou leashed to see how she did with the pack on, and to get a little more "remember you're hiking with me" time vs. "adios Mom, I'm chasing squirrels" time!  So anyways, here's a cute little butt display going on...

 Zou shows off her new pack.



 Cheery arnica in morning light.

 Lunch.
(no, not really, but Zou is always hoping...!)

 Orchids!  I've seen these in AZ, but this was a first time sighting for me in CO!  Calypso bulbosa.  Often referred to as fairy slippers and scientifically described as 'wild, native, and terrestrial,' I just call them gorgeous!!!





 We arrive at our first scenic overlook, and Zou warily overlooks...  Again, I'm glad she seems to know to be careful around drop-offs - at least most of the time...so far...



 Up higher, we encounter bits of old, dirty snow here and there, mostly in the shady spots.

 I spy...a snack!
(aka, squirrel)

 Old mines abound in this part of CO - thus all the great trails and roads!  Here, Zouey gives her best ore impression...

 More view to overlook...

 And my very first panorama stitch attempt!

 Over on another side of this hill was a different view, looking more east, with my favorite little town down below.   And the two bumps on the left side - one smaller but closer in (T. Peaks), and one much farther out with a more defined shape (CH Mtn)?  I've been up them both a couple times over the years.  Remember, this is my playground!

 My sweet little town.  Used to be my secret.  Once upon a time...  But at least it retains much of its original character/feel...



 This lookout was a very precarious perch though, so I needed to tie little Zou to a tree in the one little flat spot, while I stood sideways on a 75 degree slope and tried to take level photos!

 So of course I spent part of that balancing act taking photos of her!

 Heading back down, and going through the beautiful aspens again.

 During a lunch break, Zou gets to go pack-free for a bit.

Me and my little Hunny Bunny.

Once back at the bottom, it's time for the post-hike cool-down!
(so nice of Colorado to provide those!!!)

And just for my friend Margaret, who is working with kids and herpetofauna at the San Diego Zoo this summer - look who we found!  I'm thinking definitely garter, maybe western terrestrial?  I've seen a couple so far this visit.  Luckily, I'm pretty sure most of the areas Zouey and I frequent while hiking here are free of venomous snakes, but CO does have some, so we still have to be a bit on guard...

No comments:

Post a Comment